Magento Open Source vs Commerce
The eCommerce industry has seen a skyrocketing growth during the pandemic period. The fact that Online retail grew 49% YoY  from during the holiday season in 2020 proves that the eCommerce industry has seen an incredible growth last year. The online retail sales in 2020 amounted to $4.28 trillion and it is expected that it will grow to $5.4 trillion in 2022 .
Keeping these trends in mind and the lucrative ROI, all businesses are heavily investing in eCommerce technologies for their businesses.
Here we have list few advanced features that Magento offers in their Enterprise edition –
Note – Magento has changed the name of Magento Enterprise Edition to Magento Commerce and Magento Community Edition to Magento Open Source.
Catalog & Product Management Features –
- Upsell & Cross Sell Rule – Magento Commerce automatically associates the upsell and cross sell recommendations for the products using dynamic conditions. Whereas, in Magento OS, the user must add them manually which makes it a time-consuming task.
- Catalog Permission – This feature in Magento Commerce allows users to display a specific category of products based on conditions. This feature is important to businesses which operate in both retail & wholesale models. These businesses can choose to display or not to display the categories with different pricing.
- Gift Card – Magento Open-Source does not have the gift card feature. Using the gift card feature, businesses can create and customize up to 3 types of gift cards – virtual, physical & combined.
Gift cards are effective ways to boost the sales especially during the holiday season.
- Schedule Changes – Magento Commerce allows businesses to schedule changes to the categories to update content as well as price. This will make the updating process convenient rather than making all changes at the last moment.
Customer Support & Management Features –
- Reward Points & Store Credits – These features in Magento Commerce can be used to build Customer loyalty. Rewards points can be awarded to the customers based on their shopping behavior and allow the users to use them during check out.
Another loyalty feature is adding store credits to the customers. Store credits can be added directly to the customers account to make them keep coming back to the store to increase sales & retention.
- Customer Segments – This is a Magento Commerce feature. It allows the business to display specific promotions / content to specific group of customers based on their location, previous orders, wish list etc. This provides the next level of personalization which leads to increased sales.
- Gifts – Gifting options are only available in Magento Commerce. This feature allows the customers to gift products to their friends and family. This will increase the business’s customer base and boost sales.
- Multiple Wishlists – Magento Commerce allows users to create multiple Wishlists. This will address the diversified needs of the customers and allow them to save and come back to purchase the saved items.
Shopping Experience & Order Management Features –
- Add to cart by file upload – This feature in Magento Commerce will allow B2C & B2C customers to add multiple SKUs to cart by simply entering the SKU list (CSV file) in the form given. This will be resourceful especially for B2B customers.
- Simple Return Management Authorization – Magento Commerce will allow the businesses to authorize/manage returns, refunds & store credits conveniently from the Admin panel. To enable this in the Community edition, businesses will have to install extensions which will increase the implementation costs.
Marketing Features –
- Individual sales program for specific customer groups – Create exclusive sales events for your customers to participate and purchase products. This will both increase the sales as well as the customer loyalty.
- Schedule price rules – Businesses can schedule campaigns with price rules with other content changes well in advance. This can be done for future campaigns as well as existing campaigns as well.
Features for B2B customers –
- Organization account –B2B customers can create their company accounts on the eCommerce platform to access the wholesale products.
- Reorder through Requisition list – This feature makes reordering easy for B2B customers. They can reorder previous in large scale and that too in regular intervals.
- Quick Order form – B2B customers can place large orders easily using quick order forms. This eliminates the pain of going through & loading all the product pages to place the order.
- Quote System – This feature allows a flexible and efficient quote system that helps the businesses to maintain the relationship and goodwill.
While Magento Commerce (Enterprise Edition) is suitable for medium to large businesses, Magento Open Source (Community Edition) is suitable for micro to small businesses. Magento Commerce offers many advanced features that are essential for medium & large businesses to compete in the market, attract customers and increase revenues.
Need help in migrating your business from Magento Open Source to Magento Commerce? Or, have any queries regarding the migration process? Schedule a call with our Magento experts now to get started.